Spaghetti Squash Recipe
One of the things I miss most about being gluten free is eating pasta, especially spaghetti. However, I recently came across a great alternative: Spaghetti Squash! Spaghetti squash is not only gluten free but its a healthier and lower calorie alternative to regular pasta. And when combined with some gluten free pasta sauce, veggies, and a lean meat such as beef or turkey it creates a well rounded meal.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/2 colored pepper, diced
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- Jar of gluten free spaghetti sauce
- Dash of garlic and oregano or other spices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place face down in a baking dish filled with enough water to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Bake spaghetti squash for approximately 45-60 minutes or until squash is soft and easily scrapes off with a fork.
- While spaghetti squash bakes, saute onions and peppers in coconut oil for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add lean ground beef or turkey and cook thoroughly.
- Once the meat is cooked, pour in the spaghetti sauce. Add garlic and oregano (or other spices) to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
Add tomatoes to the sauce. Keep sauce on low until the spaghetti squash is cooked.
- Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, pull out of the oven and use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash into a bowl.
- Mix the spaghetti squash with your pasta sauce and voila you have yourself a gluten free, protein packed spaghetti squash recipe!
Goes great with:
- Add a side salad for bonus veggies!